As you grow older, your breasts begin to lose their firmness as well as their elasticity.
Aging is not the sole cause of droopy breasts, there are other factors such as pregnancy, weight gain or loss and breastfeeding that can accentuate this whole process.
Having said that, this brings us to this question: What exactly is a breast lift surgery?
Well, the breast lift surgery, as defined by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, is a cosmetic procedure that raises the breasts by removing excess skin and tightening the surrounding tissue to reshape and support the new breast contour.
It aims to rejuvenate the breasts, giving them an attractive, firm and round look. The breast lift surgery can sometimes be performed in conjunction with breast augmentation, especially if the goal is to increase the size of the breasts.
Since the year 2000, the breast lift surgery has grown by 70%. Meaning that more women are getting comfortable having this procedure.
This article will walk you through breast lift surgery, much focus will be given to the following frequently asked questions:
- Who needs a breast lift surgery?
- How is the breast lift surgery performed?
- What should I do after the procedure?
- How long does it take to recover from the surgery?
ALSO READ: Breast Lift or Implants
Who needs a breast lift surgery?
This is a procedure that is designed for people who have relatively stable weight. But that doesn’t mean that everyone with a stable weight can automatically qualify. One has to be in a good healthy state and not taking any medications.
When you are not happy about the shape and placement of your breasts, you may be a good candidate for this procedure. But it's also important to mention that one has to have realistic expectations.
Breast lift surgery won’t change the size of your breasts — unless performed along breast augmentation — so this also means that one has to be satisfied by the size of her breasts if she is to have only a breast lift surgery.
You are an ideal candidate when your breasts are pointing downwards. This is also an indication that one might be having excess breast skin and tissue. A breast lift surgery performed by the right hands may work a miracle for you — reducing the weight of your breasts and leaving you with a cleavage that is eye-pleasing.
If you are done bearing children, you might also be regarded as a suitable candidate. As mentioned earlier, pregnancy and breastfeeding can cause the volume of your breasts to increase therefore making them droopy. So, if you are going to have more children, you might as well wait to have the surgery.
RELATED ARTICLE: Breast Lift - 6 Things You Should Know About
Oftentimes, many people tend to overlook this, but you also have to be getting the procedure for yourself and not doing it because you want to satisfy another person. This also implies that you must not be pressured to have a breast lift surgery, be wary of surgeons who may be rushing you to undergo the surgery.
To determine whether you are a good candidate or not, during the consultation session your surgeon might ask you the following questions:
- Are you taking any medication at the current moment?
- Do you smoke?
- Will you be able to commit to a healthy lifestyle (physical exercise and proper nutrition) after the surgery?
- Do you drink alcohol?
How long does it take to recover from the breast lift surgery?
After the surgery, your breasts may be a bit sore and swollen. In case of any pain, your surgeon will give you medication that will help you relieve pain. As you take your given meds, you can also hold ice to your breasts so as to quicken the recovery process.
Related Article: Breast Lift Cost Around the World
For 2 to 3 weeks post-surgery, you will need to wear a surgical bra or a non-wire one. When sleeping your chest has to be raised using pillows and you have to sleep on your back for a few weeks.
After a few weeks, soreness, swelling and bruising will go away. It will take between 2 and 12 months to begin to see the final shape of your breasts.
For a period of one month after the breast lift surgery, avoid partaking in vigorous or physical activities that may require you to lift heavy things, running or swimming.
How is the breast lift surgery performed?
There are different techniques that can be used to perform this surgery. Techniques used differ from one patient to another. What differentiates the techniques is the size and shape of a patient’s breasts, and how much of a lift is needed.
Two week prior to the surgery, your surgeon will ask to avoid taking any medication, drinking alcohol and even smoking. This is done so that your body’s healing process is not interfered with.
In general, the breast lift surgery involves the following steps:
- Your surgeon will begin by marking your breasts so as to determine the nipple’s new lifted position.
- For your comfort during the surgery, you will be given anesthesia so that you won’t feel any sort of pain.
- An incision will be made around the areola. The incision will usually overlap down the front of your breast, from underneath the areola to the crease. Sometimes your surgeon may decide to extend along the sides of the areola. To avoid scarring, the incisions are usually made underneath the breast.
- Once the incision has been made, your surgeon will then begin the process of lifting and reshaping your breasts. As soon as this process is done, your areola will be repositioned on the reshaped breasts, and their sizes may also be reduced so as to suit the newly reshaped breast.
- If there is excess skin, your surgeon will remove in order to give your breasts a firm and round appearance.
- Your surgeon will then close the incisions using stitches, surgical tape, sutures or skin adhesives.
What should I do after the procedure?
All you have to do after the procedure is to stick to your surgeon’s instructions. This stage is also as important as the procedure itself as it can determine the success of the breast lift surgery.
Over to you…
So there you have it. The ball is in your court. It's either you go for breast lift surgery or not. But do not be pressured into this if you don’t feel like it. To get the desired results, it’s best to be in a right state of mind —if you are to go for it, do it for yourself.