According to The Washington Post, Americans, both men, and women, who have hair loss issue spend more than 3.5 billion dollars a year to gain their healthy, strong and bush hair back. Unfortunately, 99% of all products in the market selling, for this reason, are completely ineffective for the majority of those who use them.
However, more and more people each year seek an alternative including both medical treatments and natural remedies to stop their hair loss and see their hair regrowth, not only in scalp but also in eyebrows and the other part of the body.
In this article, you will find a list of medical, natural and surgical solutions and their effectiveness to your hair loss treatment and also top 5 reasons causing hair loss.
• Medications for Hair Loss Treatment: Some medication treatments can gradually reduce or prevent hair loss and induce hair growth. These medications affect hormones. Some of them are oral medications such as “Finasteride” and some of them can be applied directly on the scalp such as “Minoxidil”.
Finasteride (Propecia) works by lowering levels of a hormone that shrinks hair follicles, called dihydrotestosterone (DHT). It slows hair loss in about 88% of men and helps hair regrow in about 66%. For using this drug, you need a doctor’s prescription and after you need to take it every day. Being patient is so important that it can take 6 months to see results because hair grows slowly. In clinical studies for this medication, about 3% of men had some side effects, including a lower sex drive and other sexual problems. It is another warning that pregnant women shouldn’t handle the pills, even touching broken or crushed tablets can cause congenital disabilities in babies.
Minoxidil, on the other hand, is applied to the scalp directly. This can stop hairs from getting thinner and stimulate the hair growth especially on the top of the scalp. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved minoxidil as a medication of hair loss treatment. Minoxidil is the only hair re-growth product approved for both men and women. Your dermatologist may combine minoxidil with another hair loss treatment.
• Natural Remedies for Hair Loss Treatment: You can also use essential oils to make some of the best topical home hair loss remedies. Essential oils are one of the most popular natural products used for medical purposes. With their popular use in dermatology, their availability, and the development of antimicrobial resistance, commercial essential products such as shampoos, shower gels, and creams are often considering as a useful option. At least 90 essential oils can be identified as being recommended for dermatological use, with at least 1500 combinations.
Rosemary is one of the top essential oils when it comes to enhancing hair thickness and hair growth. Rosemary oil is believed to increase cellular metabolism that stimulates hair growth. Spikenard oil is also known for promoting the growth of hair and helping to reduce hair loss. One recommendation to stimulate new hair growth is to combine three to four drops each of peppermint, rosemary, and sage in one tablespoon of olive oil. Then you massage the mixture gently into the areas of concern one to two times each day. Only older teenagers and adults should use essential oils topically for hair. If you want to know if essential oils could benefit your child, ask their pediatricians. To understand your tolerance for irritation, testing a small amount of the mixture on a small patch of skin is so important.
• Laser Devices for Hair Loss Treatment: Although the long-term effectiveness and safety for these devices haven't proven yet, brushes, combs, and other hand-held devices that have laser light may stimulate hair growth and fight with the hair loss.
Top 5 Reasons That Cause Hair Loss
You normally lose fifty to one hundred strands a day no matter how you wash or style your hair. However, there may be some specific reasons that increase this daily amount and cause hair loss such as:
• Stress: Intensely stressful situations can trigger hair loss. But it doesn’t always mean that this hair loss is permanent. Your hair can grow back if you manage to control your stress level.
• Thyroid: Both an overactive and underactive thyroid can cause hair loss. If you are experiencing abnormal hair loss, talk with your doctor to check your thyroid.
• Weight Loss and Insufficient Dieting: Sudden weight loss or poor nutrition may make your hair fall out. Make sure that your daily protein and iron intake is sufficient.
• Genetics: You may also experience baldness due to hereditary conditions as hereditary baldness affects up to 80% of men and 50% of women. Talk to your dermatologist to see what options you have on how to stop hair loss by fighting with your hereditary baldness.
• Androgenetic Alopecia: The most common cause of hair loss is androgenetic alopecia which is also known as male pattern baldness or female pattern baldness. Characterized by the pattern it produces on the scalp, men will generally notice their hairline receding into the shape of an “M”, while women will usually see a thinning of hair all over or a widening of their part. This type of hair loss is often seen in women with polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS), congenital adrenal hyperplasia, and other disorders of male hormone excess.
One of the Best Hair Loss Treatment: Hair Transplant
Hair transplant is one of the best hair loss treatment among all mentioned above. The procedure permanently restores hair by transplanting follicles into bald or thinning areas. There are many techniques to perform hair transplant such as FUT, FUE, DHI, HSI, Micrografting, Robotic Hair Restoration and so on. Although there are consistently new techniques improved, the most common method among them are still follicular unit extraction (FUE). During the FUE procedure, each follicular unit is removed one at a time. FUE procedure takes more time but avoids the linear scar that results from the FUT procedure. FUE is a popular choice for anyone who wants to wear their hair short after the transplant.
In comparison to medications and natural remedies, hair transplant is the most effective way to cure baldness. There are a wide variety of clinics that offer various hair transplant packages around the world. As a final word, it should be noted that most Western European patients come to Turkey for hair transplant to have both high-quality medical service and pay less.
This content is edited by Flymedi Medical Editors in April 2019.